Chase Bank Building
The Chase Bank Building in downtown Tucson, Arizona adapted through the years with relative ease. The building changed names three times and different people use the names interchangeably: the Consolidated Bank Building, the Valley National Bank Building, the Bnak One Building, and the Chase Bank Building. Despite the name, the Tucsonans use the building for many functions other than banking.
Before the Consolidated National Bank began building their 142 foot, ten-story building in 1929, one story houses dominated the Tucson skyline, so people refer to the building as “Tucson’s first skyscraper.” However, most Tucsonans welcomed the Italian Renaissance Revival Style building because of its exterior beauty and its interior elegance. The building’s three tiered organization resembles the Sullivanesque Style buildings made famous by Louis Sullivan at the turn of the century. Just like a Greek column with three distinct sections, a base, a shaft and a capital, the Chase Bank Building has a terra cotta base with arched bay windows and doorways, a more simplistic shaft made of brick with relatively uniform windows, and an ornamental capital with a cornice that extends out from the building and over the street below.
After the initial name change from the Consolidated National Bank Building to the Valley National Bank Building in 1935, the building did not undergo any name changes until 1993 when Bank One acquired the building. In 2005 Chase Bank acquired the building and has had an office in the building ever since. However, in 2007 two Tucsonans, Rob Caylor and Art Wadlund, bought the building. Chase leases the first six floors from the businessmen. The pair has since done an excellent job at locating tenants for the other floors which were previously unoccupied.